Saturday, November 28, 2009

Game Reviews

In the past two weeks I have been thrust back into the world of table top gaming, and I will say that it has been a long time coming that I reunite with my table top pals. In the past two weeks I have also learned two new games.

A Game of Thrones card game:



"A Game of Thrones" is the first book in the G.R.R. Martin book series "Song of Ice and Fire." The objective of the game is to reach 15 power which are points you recieve for receive for completing various tasks.
You can play a "Joust" which is a 1 on 1 game and a "Melee" which is for multi-player games. I got to participate in one of each of the game modes.
In my first game I played a melee game. I played as House Stark and didn't get utterly decimated which is all I really wanted to do. In my joust match however; I got annihilated. The guy I was playing against said that it was late and I was probably tired...nothing like a little pity to make you hate the loss even more.
Rather than explaining each phase of the game in-depth I will say that I recommend it and you should play it if you get the chance



Warmachine in all honesty was much to complicated for me. Warmachine is game similar to Warhammer only in that you control miniatures on a map and move them and fight other miniatures. Calm down, I just made a comparison which I can only assume no one will really understand, but if you are offended that I compared Warmachine to Warhammer deal with it...that's the kind of hard hitting edgy blog I am.
For me to learn Warmachine it took about 4 hours, and even then I still didn't really understand what I was doing. I played a 2 on 2 and my teammate was guiding my pretty much the entire time.
Again, I started out strong thanks to my good friend beginners luck and some hot dice but in the end my army was destroyed and sent to the scrap pile. As for my recommendation to you, well, if you are into the miniature thing then go for it. If not, watch a game and see if it picks up your interests. Fair warning, Warmachine is expensive especially if you want to play it properly. You need to buy miniatures and you will need to paint them. Warmachine is a serious commitment even if you are a casual player.

As I am lazy I am not going to make a banner yet for my check it out rating. I will also accredit Destructoid.com for the idea for my ratings. If I can avoid putting a score on something I will avoid a lot of hate...from the one reader I probably have ;) hello out there.

Games I am playing: Uncharted: Drakes Fortune(PS3), Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood(360), Scribblenauts(NDS), Shiren the Wanderer(NDS), Madden 10(PS3), Ghostbusters(360)

Watching: Robotech: The Macross Saga

Feel free to watch or play along, leave comments and spread the word. Gamers on Hiatus is back and as much as I hate using this cliche it's with a vengeance.

No comments: